Thursday, March 6, 2008

Walk in the Light #3

Matthew 5:16 -- Matthew 16:21-28 -- Mark 8:34-35

Have your parents ever said something like, "Your behavior reflects poorly on me," or "I'm so proud of you," or my personal favorite, "Smile, so people think you have a good mom." (That last one is a quote from Brian Broadway, and it still cracks me up.)

In Matthew 5:16, Jesus commands, "Let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven." So that...don't miss the so that. So that by seeing your good works God is glorified. Not so that you'll get to heaven or so that you'll be a "good Christian." (whatever that means) So that God gets the honor. So that people want the relationship with God that you have. So that your life matters because God loves you.

So that you deny yourself, take up your cross and follow Jesus. So that those who lose their life for Jesus' sake and for the sake of the Gospel will find it.

So that we set our minds on divine things and not human things. So that we're not a stumbling block. So that we are a light to the world.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I just want you to know that I have very much enjoyed the "walk in the light" blogs!

I was thinking about the agnostic in each of us this week and our guest preacher talked about it on Sunday...

anyway...you thoughts have caused me to think, and for that I am grateful!

Anonymous said...

oooh man, Brian Brian Brian =)

Anonymous said...

yes.. no stumbling blocks. if there is anything that us doing causes a brother or sister to fall we should remove "so that" they will not stumble. I really like the verses that talk about the dark and the light. i love that... metaphor i guess is watt u would call it.