Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Walk in the Light #2

2 Timothy 3:14-17 -- John 10:22-30 -- Exodus 4:10-12

"To the agnostic in all of us, who wonders if there is a God..." (Hereth, Listening to Lent) That's a great line. I never thought about an agnostic living in all of us. Certainly I've wondered if there is a God. I've wondered if the very thing I've built my life upon is true. I've wondered if faith is for the weak and hope for the fool. But I've never acknowledged that that is the agnostic in me.

Merriam-Websters Online says, "...
one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God..." That's a person unsure of anything. On the fence. Neither hot nor cold. Ewwww. That's not who I want to be. I want to be decisive, yet I sometimes find myself the Queen of Indecision. I want to be certain, yet I often find myself with more questions than answers. I want to be confident, yet I can find myself doubting.

Moses also lacked confidence--to the point that God got a little ticked off at him--on more than one occasion. In the Exodus text we find God calling Moses and Moses doubting himself or doubting God. He points to his flaws--wondering if God knows about them. Turns out God does and God provides.

In John we find the followers getting a little annoyed with Jesus asking, "How long will you keep us in suspense? If you're the Messiah tell us plainly." They're doubting that Jesus is who He says He is. They're blind to the miracles around them because Jesus isn't coming according to plan. Hmmm. I heard recently that sheep are so dumb that they go into the water to drink, but end up drowning because they can't get themselves out without a shepherd. Jesus tells them, "You do not believe, because you do not belong to my sheep. My sheep hear my voice. I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish." Knowing how dumb sheep are and comparing them to us makes Jesus' words "they will never perish" even more miraculous.

In 2 Timothy, Paul urges Timothy to "...continue in what you have learned and firmly believed..."
Timothy needed reassurance. Timothy doubted. Timothy needed to be reminded of the power of God in Christ. He needed to be reminded that he's been trained in righteousness, that he's proficient, that he's equipped for every good work. We too need such reminders.

Be assured. Be convinced. Be confident. Be faithful. Walk in the light.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

as i was about to write something here my mind changed about watt i would write. for someone reason my mind wandered to the story of Peter walking out on the water.... When Jesus is in our sights and we don't stray away we are safe. Walking on that water, or not drowning in the water. and wen we look away, loss faith, take the wrong path, we start to drown, but b/c we are his sheep his voice lifts us from the depths or the shallows and holds us in safe harbour.