Thursday, March 20, 2008

Holy Thursday

John 13:1-17

"For the sepulchre was nigh at hand." I heard these words tonight at the Maundy Thursday service. In fact, the readings for the entire service were from the King James Version of the Bible. As I listened, I was really taken in by the beauty of the language and the way it was spoken. The strangeness of the language added to the mystery of God's great love story. And yet, I also found myself wondering if the King James language was the best choice. It seemed like language for the insider, for people who already know the story. I noticed people in the service I didn't know. I noticed young children sitting quietly at their parents side. And I wondered if what I was finding so beautiful...and haunting, fell on confused ears. For the sepulchre was nigh, in other words "the tomb was nearby" (so saith the NIV) or "the tomb was convenient" (so saith The Message). If the words aren't understood by the listener, can the story be experienced?

All of this has nothing to do with the scripture reading from John, it's just something I've been thinking about for the last few hours. This scripture is the story of Jesus washing his disciples feet. Have you ever had your feet washed? I have, and it's very humbling. Both times I've found myself very aware of myself, of my unworthiness. It made me nervous, and I felt totally out of my comfort zone. I can only imagine that what I experienced must have also been felt by some of the disciples.

This time when read it, I focused less on myself and the disciples. The text says, "Jesus knew that his hour had come..." and "Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands..." and "he knew who was to betray him..." Jesus knew his time on earth was up. Jesus knew he had the power not to go to the cross. He knew that his time on earth was a gift. Jesus knew we would fail him. And yet, he got up from the table, took off his outer robe, and tied a towel around himself, poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples feet and to wipe them with the towel that was tied around him. He was very deliberate, and I sense that not only was he teaching us to serve one another but he was emptying himself of his power. In that simple act of service and that great act of love, our Savior was methodically humbling himself of his very being. And then he says, "If you know these things, you are blessed if you do them."

I know these things. I am blessed. But, I rarely do them. I'm more like Mac Davis singing the chorus of the old country song, "Oh Lord, it's hard to be humble..." It is hard to be humble. Jesus set us an example, that we also should do as He has done to his disciples. Easier said than done.

No comments: