Monday, August 31, 2009

Student Ministry Picture of the Week!

Inspired by friend and photographer, Mandy Smith...I've been thinking a lot about pictures. I've been trying to imagine pictures of the day for my life. It really helps me consider how I spend my time, when I have to come up with a picture of the day each day. I don't carry a camera around and always photograph myself, as though I were my own paparazzi. But I've been trying to reflect on a mental picture each day--something that added to the quality of my life. It's also a good exercise in gratitude.


Anyway, this weekend I took an actual picture. I took a lot of pictures, actually, of students. You see this weekend held a lot of firsts for me. I went to my first Chillicothe Hornets Football game--along with half the city. I went to my first Chillicothe Hornets Boys Soccer game. And, I went to see Julie & Julia in the Chillicothe movie theater. I've can't believe I've lived here 9 months and just went to see my first movie. It was a good weekend. In fact, it was a great weekend.


So, back to the picture. When I'm on Facebook, as a lot of us older folks are these days, I read status updates from friends longing for the weekend..lamenting about the weekdays. And, I remember those feelings. I remember going to work because I had to pay bills. I still have bills to pay, but now going to work is not something I dread. I love what I do. When I look at this picture, I can't help but smile. I made it my wallpaper even. Working in Student Ministry isn't working at all for me. I love it. I get paid to have opportunities for moments like this...every day of the week:

Seriously, when was the last time you saw a student rockin' the bass in a band uniform while batons are twirling in the background. You can't make this stuff up. By the way, they were playing a Beatles medley, and his name is Daniel.

No comments: