Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Holy Wednesday--No Longer My Own

I recently learned of singer/songwriter, Adam Wheatley, and I can't seem to stop listening to his cd's. Depending on the day, I usually find one that I keep playing over and over. This doesn't happen to me very often. In fact, the last time it happened, it was Todd Agnew's Better Questions CD. (Which is still a favorite.) Well, last Friday, I heard Adam's song "Roses and Nails" again...and again...and again...and again...I can't stop listening to it, and I'm not sure why. (Except that it's so powerful and good and true and...) It says:

I saw my life as I had planned it, so I took it from the Giver's hand.
Then I buried it deep in the ground.
I trusted men instead of conscience.
I put hope in what my eyes could see.
Then You gently reminded me that it's easier to sleep than to dream.

So lay me on a bed of roses or lay me on a bed of nails.
Rest will find my eyes weary, searching for a place to land.

The illusion of a better story has fed me lies and called me friend.
I have overcome the smoke and the ashes to settle into You again.

So lay me on a bed of roses or lay me on a bed of nails.
Rest will find my eyes weary, searching for a place to land.

What other source can I find that leads me to a freedom and life.

So lay me on a bed of roses or lay me on a bed of nails.
Rest will find my eyes weary, searching for a place to land.

Yesterday, I was cranky. I had myself on my mind way too much. But today. Today is a new day. God's mercies are NEW EVERY morning. I've been reminded (thankfully) that it's still not about me...no matter how much I try to make it so. Today, I'm thankful. I'm thankful for fellow believers (past and present) who remind me of what's good and important and real.

So, today, I listen to Roses and Nails, and I pray John Wesley's Covenant Prayer:
I am no longer my own, but thine.
Put me to what thou wilt, rank me with whom thou wilt.
Put me to doing, put me to suffering.
Let me be employed for thee or laid aside for thee, exalted for thee or brought low for thee.
Let me be full, let me be empty.
Let me have all things, let me have nothing.
I freely and heartily yield all things to thy pleasure and disposal.
And now, O glorious and blessed God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, thou art mine, and I am thine.

So be it.
And the covenant which I have made on earth, let it be ratified in heaven.

Amen.

No comments: